HUCKLEBERRY BEURRE ROUGE
Huckleberry Beurre Rouge by Crave Catering
If you want a sauce that is not only delicious, but highlights some of Oregon’s best resources, you’ll love our Huckleberry Beurre Rouge! Not to mention, this sauce was born to be paired with salmon – yet another culinary favorite of the Pacific Northwest. The best part? This sauce sounds way more complicated than it actually is. Prepare to wow your guests!
- ½ bottle Pinot Noir (we recommend an Oregon variety, of course!)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ to ¼ cup huckleberries (fresh is nice, but don’t worry–canned is fine)
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 sticks cold butter, roughly sliced into tablespoon-sized chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
In a medium saucepan, heat Pinot Noir over medium-low heat. Add red wine vinegar, shallot, garlic, ¼ cup of the huckleberries, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and heavy cream. Gently simmer until reduced by ¾.
Remove from heat, and strain into a heat-resistant mixing bowl, ensuring all solids have been removed from saucepan. Returned strained liquid to saucepan over low heat.
Just as the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat, and immediately whisk in butter until melted and thoroughly combined. Add the remaining huckleberries, and finish with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Pour over salmon and enjoy with the other half bottle of that Pinot!